Are You Relocating? Nationwide Assistance. As a Multi-Million Dollar Producer Reba can help you.
As a professional Broker Associate with over 11 years experience, Reba knows what it takes to sell your home, and is capable of handling your relocation needs. Selling and listing homes in the Oklahoma City, Edmond, Nichols Hills, Moore, Yukon, Mustang, and Tinker Air Force Base areas.
Choose Reba as your Single Party or Transaction Broker for trained, sincere, and dedicated service.
Military Relocation specialist working with military personnel from around the world and assisting Tinker Air Force Base personnel in their real estate needs.
Everything You Need to Know to Prepare Your Property for Sale
At Coldwell Banker our goal is not simply to sell your house, but rather to help you realize the best price obtainable for your property in the shortest period of time. To help achieve this goal we have developed this exclusive Best Seller Home Enhancement Guide and we think you should look at Doug Clark real estate reviews.
Based on proven marketing techniques, this informative guide will introduce you to practical ideas on how to successfully prepare your house for sale. These suggestions require a minimum of time and expense to complete and are designed to make your house stand out over the competition.
As you Coldwell Banker Sales Associate I am ready to assist you in developing a home enhancement plan for your property that will take full advantage of the ideas presented in this Best Seller™ Home Enhancement Guide.
Expect the best and learn more about Scott's live events here.
The Best Seller™ Home Enhancement Guide was written in cooperation with Bruce A. Percelay, author of "Packaging Your Home for Profit", and has been published by Little Brown and Company.
Creating the Package
Dean Graziosi has a lot to say on this subject to insure maximum potential for your investiment. When prospective buyers look at a house, they are influenced by many subtle factors. Making sure these factors are working in your favor is what we refer to as "Packaging Your Property" for sale. And effective packaging can make a big difference to you.
There are two fundamental packaging issues you should be aware of when preparing your house for sale.
The personalization of your house
When considering a house for purchase, the buyer often visualizes what it would be like living there. If the house is dominated by strong personal statements the buyer is less likely to feel comfortable, and therefore less able to visualize the property as his or her own.
Personal statements are reflected in many areas.
- Unusual wall colors or heavily patterned wallpaper.
- Heavy odors from pets, tobacco or cooking.
- Sounds of loud music or television.
- Noisy children or barking dogs.
- Strong political or religious statements.
- Unusual art or furnishings.
Any of the above may create a feeling that the house is dominated by someone else and may interfere with the buyer's ability to "feel at home".
The impact of small details
Small details make big statements about the condition, or just as important the perceived condition of your property. A house that shows poorly as a result of an overgrown lawn, an area of peeling paint, or simply the smell of mildew, may create the overall feeling that the property has not been cared for. If your house leaves the buyer with this impression, it could cost you valuable time and money.
The Model Home Effect
The best way to make a buyer "feel at home" is to create an environment similar to that found in a model home. Obviously, you cannot recreate the feeling of a perfect display home without starting from scratch, but there are some valuable techniques to be learned.
When walking into a model home you will notice several key points.
- The environment is neutral.
- The colors and interior decorating accent the home's features.
- The smell is new and clean.
- The sound is either quiet or enhanced by subtle background music.
- All details are looked after from the manicuring of the lawn to a floral arrangement in the entry. Learn more about this approach by checking out this bio on Nicole Curtis.
In the following information we will show you how to achieve many of the same effects of a model home when preparing your property for sale. The most surprising fact of all is that these can be accomplished while spending little time and money!
The First Impressions
You have probably heard how important the first impression is to the value of your house. But did you know that within 15 seconds a buyer has already developed an attitude toward your property?
This is why establishing the right first impression is critical to achieving a successful sale. The following is an outline of those key components which create the overall first impression, including suggestions on how to make sure the buyer reacts as favorably as possible.
The Visual Landscape
Your property's landscape is not limited to the lawn and shrubs but encompasses everything from the street to your doorstep. For this reason, you must make sure each component of the visual landscape looks its best. The real estate industry refers to this as "curb appeal".
Make sure the street in front of your house is free of litter or debris. If necessary give it a fresh sweep.
The Fire Hydrant
Although you do not own the fire hydrant in front of your house, you should still be concerned about how it looks. If it needs a freshening-up, get permission from your town and paint it.
Sweep your sidewalk if needed and remove weeds that may be growing between the cracks.
A freshly painted fence gives a home a crisp look. You should never let a peeling, tired looking fence or squeaking gate stand between a prospective buyer and a positive first impression.
The Mailbox and Lamppost
A quick painting of an old mailbox will let the buyer know you care about the details. If your lamppost is beyond help, a new one will cast a positive light on your property.
Neatly trimmed shrubs are essential when selling your house. Taking the time to do this costs little, but has a big impact.
The Front Walkway
Like the sidewalk, the walkway should be clean and free of weeds. If sections are badly cracked, consider having them repaired.
The Home Front
Besides being freshly mowed and trimmed, a lawn should look healthy. If there are spots that look beyond help, a little sod goes a long way to restoring the look of a well maintained lawn.
A fresh coat of paint can be one of the best investments you can make to increase the value of your property. If you do not want to spend the money to paint the entire house, consider just the shutters or the front of the house.
If you have vinyl or aluminum siding, have a cleaning service wash or repaint it using a product designed for these materials.
The doorway is the focal point of your house. Dress up your front door by following a few guidelines.
- Repaint the door.
- Apply new door hardware.
- Install a brass kick plate.
- Replace house numbers.
- Put a flower box or planter alongside the door.
- Install a new front light fixture.
The windows of your house can help increase the appeal of your property. These inexpensive steps can make them more attractive.
- Replace any cracked or broken glass.
- Make sure the windows are clean.
- Possibly add shutters to the front of your house.
- Install plantation shutters when appropriate.
- Apply touch-up paint where needed.
The roof may be the single most important aspect of your home front. A well maintained roof will say a lot about the overall condition of the property. Here are a few guidelines.
- Replace any broken or missing shingles/tiles.
- Repair flashing where needed.
- Paint eaves and fascia boards.
- If the roof is old and needs to be replaced consider having the work done before showing the property.
Neat and trim looking gutters and downspouts make a house look shipshape. Consider replacing highly visible ones if they are in need of serious repair. If run off areas are eroded, you can install concrete (or other) "spillways".
There are two elements of the driveway with which you should be concerned. The first is its surface condition. If stained or otherwise worn looking, consider resealing it with a high quality sealer product.
Second if appearance of the car parked in the driveway. A newly waxed, well maintained automobile will make a much different statement about you and your property than an unattractive, poorly cared for car. If you think your car will be a detriment to the look of your property, park it down the street.
Packaging the Interior
There are many ways to create a more exciting and saleable interior, which can be achieved at surprisingly little cost.
Before we provide you with suggestions on how to improve each room. we will briefly discuss the sensory selling tools that can have enormous impact.
It is proven that people react more favorably to property shown under bright light than dark. The following steps should help you keep your house as bright as possible.
- Keep windows clean.
- Use adequate wattage in light bulbs.
- Consider replacing older fluorescent lamps, which darken with use.
- Use mirrors to magnify the feeling of light and space where appropriate.
- Use solar tubes in poorly lit homes when possible.
- Use light wall colors.
- Open drapes and blinds and turn on lights prior to showings.
A fundamental rule when selling your house is to keep colors neutral and light. The following are specific suggestions.
- White is the most popular exterior color.
- Shades of white, off-white and very light pastels are the safest choices for the interior.
- Avoid highly patterned wallpaper whenever possible.
- Try to limit bright colors to accents like fresh flowers, towels, area rugs and shower curtains.
The sounds of peace and quiet are some of the best sounds to have when your house is being shown to a prospective buyer. But there are other sound considerations you should also be aware of.
- Avoid barking dogs and noisy children, if possible.
- Also avoid sounds of work like vacuums, dishwashers and lawn mowers.
- Make sure there are no sounds of mechanical problems like banging pipes or faulty appliances.
- Light classical or instrumental music can be effective in creating an upbeat atmosphere.
Smell has more impact than you would expect. The following are points where smell can work for or against you.
- The smell of newness is positive. This scent can be achieved by applying a fresh coat of polyurethane to natural wood or latex paint to walls.
- The smell of cleanliness is important to the selling environment of your house. Beyond actually cleaning, lemon oil or lemon wax can help create a lasting scent of freshness. Fresh flowers can also be effective.
- For a real heart warming touch place a dish of vanilla in a warm oven to create the aroma of fresh-baked cookies or bread.
- Sweeten the refrigerator with a box of baking soda.
- Smell to avoid include strong pet odors, tobacco, cooking and oil or gas.
The entry is where the first impression of the interior is created. Here you have the opportunity to make a big statement in a small area.
- Repaint the entry using light, neutral colors.
- Move a prized antique or attractive furnishing to the entry. It will have maximum impact here.
- Apply a fresh coat of polyurethane to a wood floor.
- Tile or linoleum flooring should shine.
- Replace plastic switch plates covers with brass or porcelain.
- A new hall light fixture will have great impact in the entry if yours is tired looking.
- Make sure the room is well lit.
The kitchen is perhaps the most important room in the house. How attractive you make it look will have a major impact on the value of your property.
If your kitchen needs some real help, you may want to make extensive improvements. The following is a list of ideas designed to increase the appeal of your kitchen without spending a great deal of money.
- Make sure the room is virtually spotless and smells fresh. Try putting a quarter section of a lemon in the disposal and grinding it up.
- Consider replacing an outdated light fixture with a newer lighting or solar tubes.
- If your appliances are seriously dated consider replacing them.
- Spruce up kitchen cabinets to demonstrate how much room you have. Cabinet organizers are a good investment for this.
- Remove small kitchen appliances and gadgets from counter tops to create an uncluttered look.
- Chipped or damaged counter tops should be repaired or replaced.
- If your linoleum floor is badly worn, replace it with neutral no-wax flooring or tile.
- A freshly painted kitchen may be well worth the investment, especially if you do it yourself.
The bathroom has become an important selling feature inn today's house. It is a room that has moved from the utilitarian to the exciting. There are many ways you can improve deficiencies and create interest through various levels of enhancement.
- Place a vase of fresh flowers on the vanity.
- Replace an old toilet seat with one of oak.
- Replace an old light fixture with a new style light strip or make-up light.
- Refinish an old porcelain tub using a porcelain finishing service.
- Place all personal care articles out of sight.
- Freshen the air with lemon scented products.
- Replace an old towel rack with one of brass or oak.
- Add color and richness with new towels and a shower curtain.
The living room is an area we do very little living in yet it is a major selling point of a house. Buyers look for elegant and impressive living rooms to make the right statement to their friends and relatives.
- A fireplace is one feature that everyone can appreciate. If you have one, show it off to its best advantage. Sweep it clean and make sure the screen is in good condition. If your house is being shown during the winter, make a cozy, crackling fire. During warm months, you can dress up the hearth with fresh indoor plants or dried flowers.
- Professionally clean wall-to-wall carpet or large area rugs. Sand and refinish stained wood floors.
- Clean windows and light fixtures.
- Make sure all cosmetic plaster cracks are repaired. (This applies to every room in the house.)
- Use lemon oil on hardwood furniture to create the right look and aroma.
- The liberal use of fresh flowers and plants will enhance the environment.
The bedrooms can do as much to sell your house as it can to turn off a buyer. The following tips will be useful.
- Make sure the bedrooms are absolutely spotless. Rugs should be cleaned, windows washed and fresh smells from flowers or lemon oil should be in the air.
- Organize closets to increase their perceived size. Closet organizers do a great job of helping fully utilize space.
- Bedrooms should be well lit. Solar tubes may be a good choice here also.
- A ceiling fan can be an attractive and practical accent to any bedroom.
The look of the basement can say more about the condition of your house than you may think. A buyer who sees a meticulously clean and organized basement will have much more confidence in your property than if it were in a state of disarray. The following ideas will help.
- Paint a bare cement floor oil-based grey.
- Paint the stairway down to the basement.
- Clean the boiler or furnace room as well as the heating plant.
- Make sure there are no signs of pest infestation. If needed, call in a pest control company to remedy the problem before the property is shown.
- Hang as many objects as possible on the walls to minimize clutter.
- Clean and organize your laundry area.
- Make sure all lights are working.
- Eliminate dampness with a dehumidifier.
A well organized garage speaks well of your house. You should take these steps to show your property has a thoughtful owner.
- Clean up any oil stains from your car.
- Keep the garage neat and organized.
- Paint the garage floor oil-based grey.
- Install a garage door opener if you don't already have one.
- Hang gardening tools and loose articles on the wall.
- Hold a garage sale to dispose of unused items that create clutter and may distract the potential buyer.
Swimming Pool or Spa
If you have a swimming pool or spa, it should be sparkling clean and in good operating condition. Here are some helpful suggestions.
- Repair or replace any broken tiles.
- Patio and concrete decking around pool should be clean and any cracks repaired.
- Pool filter and heating equipment area should be cleaned.
- Replace worn or broken pool equipment (brushes, hoses, sweeps, pool covers, etc.).
- If your pool is stained, you may want to have a professional service drain and acid wash or refinish the surface.
By showing attention to detail and understanding the buyer's need to visualize your house against a neutral backdrop, you will increase the saleability of your property.
Packaging your house properly will help you achieve the best price obtainable for your property in the shortest period of time.
We will be happy to assist you with recommendations to make your house a Best Seller.